Our cooks and bakers, bartenders and pastry chefs, all rely on thoughtfully grown and sourced ingredients for their craft. These raw ingredients are the backbone of USHG’s culinary program and many come from local and regional small, independent producers. These small producers built a business directly linked to the restaurant supply chain and have been impacted by the current crisis and its resulting shutdown. Ever nimble, many of them have found a way to pivot their businesses so that they can now offer their goods directly to consumers, many with the ability to ship nationwide.
Below is a list of some of our suppliers currently available to consumers. While not comprehensive, we hope this list helps you discover ways to get delicious, high-quality food at home while supporting local and regional suppliers who nourish our communities. We will continually update the list as we learn more.
GrowNYC Greenmarket Vendors
- GrowNYC Greenmarkets: Many of our restaurants visit Union Square Greenmarket at least weekly - GrowNYC has created this helpful directory with information on the services for each their suppliers. If you're planning to visit an NYC greenmarket, updates to their schedules can be found here. We've also included a few specific partners below who are offering pick-up and delivery services.
- Norwich Meadows Farm: Established in 1998 on a parcel of land behind their home, Norwich Meadows Farm has expanded to create a community supported by the expanded farm and other small businesses in New York and New Jersey. Norwich Meadows Farm is offering home delivery of CSA-style produce or market boxes to customers in Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn, Queens & Westchester on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays; order online.
- Stokes Farm: Founded in 1873, 6th generation farmer Ron Binaghi, Jr. and his family remain a trusted local source for bedding plants, asparagus, strawberries, heirloom tomatoes, fresh herbs, and more around their farm in Old Tappan, NJ and GrowNYC greenmarkets. Shop online for fruits, vegetables, bakery items and plants and pick-up at their farm. And, we can't help but share one of Farmer Ron's funnies: Knock Knock! Who’s there? Doughnut! Doughnut who? Doughnut worry it is just a joke!
- Willow Wisp Organic Farm: Located along the Delaware River, Willow Wisp farm grows a diverse mix of vegetables, herbs, and cut flowers on their 25 acres. Shop online for pick-up at Grand Army Plaza Farmer's Market in Brooklyn and in Callicoon, NY.
- Battenkill Valley Creamery: Founded by 4th and 5th generation farmers, Donald and Seth McEachron began processing and bottling all-natural, 100% traceable milk on their family farm in Salem, NY. Since then, they've expanded to super premium ice cream and BVC's creamery in Salem, NY is open, and they offer home delivery to the Saratoga Springs area. More info as of 4/3 here.
- The Cellars at Jasper Hill Farm: The Cellars at Jasper Hill Farm is a 22,000 square foot underground facility which provides affinage, or aging expertise, as well as distribution and marketing services for local cheese makers. They ripen cheese made by Jasper Hill Creameries as well as several other producers. Each cheese in their collection is made from a single herd of cows, and fresh wheels are introduced to one of seven specially calibrated vaults where they receive customized care until perfect ripeness. Shop online and they'll ship nationwide.
- Saxelby Cheese: Established by Anne Saxelby in 2006 in a stall in the Essex Street Market, Saxelby's has grown to include a booming wholesale and distribution business serving restaurants and retailers in NYC and across the country. Shop online and they'll ship nationwide.
Meat & Poultry
- Allen Brothers: Allen Brothers supplies prime steaks to Blue Smoke; you can shop online and have their steaks and other proteins shipped to you.
- Bella Bella Gourmet Foods: Representing a group of farms in Sullivan County, NY that grow heritage breeds of specialty poultry for over 25 years, Bella Bella Gourmet Foods sources specialty meat, foie gras, poultry, and game birds. Shop online and they'll ship next day nationwide.
- DeBragga: DeBragga and Spitler was founded in the 1920's as the premier New York butcher, and continues to work with top restaurants and steakhouses in NYC and across the country. We work with DeBragga at Union Square Cafe; DeBragga Local offers streamlined and customizable delivery to parts of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Philadelphia, and also ships nationwide.
- Elysian Farms / Pure Bred Lamb: In 1989, Keith Martin began building Elysian Fields Sheep Farm in Greene County, Pennsylvania; his goal with raising lamb holistically is to connect the consumer with the farmer and and ensure an ethical mandate of animal compassion and respect for nature. Keith operates the farm as well as the Pure Bred Lamb brand, which serves restaurants across the country (including Maialino) and specialty food retailers in the Pittsburgh area. Seven family farms in Ohio and Pennsylvania are part of the Pure Bred Lamb program, and they all adhere to their “Safe Alternative ® method” to ensure the delivery of the best possible product. Shop online for nationwide delivery.
- Fossil Farms: Specializing in specialty farm-raised game and all-natural meats, Fossil Farms offers over 200 sustainable proteins including Ostrich, Bison, Venison, Elk and Wild Boar. Shop online for nationwide delivery. And, their Boonton, NJ retail store is open 7 days a week.
- Four Story Hill Farm: After moving to New York from Israel in 1979, Stephen and Sylvia Pryzant bought their first sliver of land in Pennsylvania to make their dreams of farming a reality. Stephen had gained knowledge of farming and a love for livestock by working on a kibbutz; Sylvia studied the ins and outs of raising the unique, milk-fed poulardes from Burgundy, France. Since then, they have built relationships with top restaurants in NYC; we’re proud to work with Four Story Hill Farm at Manhatta to source our chicken and squab. You can now order poultry to have shipped to you; call Sylvia at 570-224-4137 for more info.
- Happy Valley Meat: Shop online for ethically-raised meat from small-scale, family farmers in Pennsylvania and shipped nationwide. They list availability every day at 9am ET and take orders on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Heritage Foods: Many of our restaurants serve heritage meats from Patrick and the Heritage Foods team (including the bacon from Daily Provisions' BEC). Since 2001, Heritage has sought to preserve endangered species of livestock from extinction; they support over 50 family farms, largely in Kansas, Missouri, New York, and Vermont. Shop online and they'll ship nationwide.
- Piccinini Bros: Founded in 1922, Piccinini Brothers has served as a wholesale market from their Ninth Avenue storefront, but is now offering their meats at retail. Shop online for curbside pick up and delivery to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Westchester and Hamptons.
- Pino's Prime Meats: Family owned and operated for 115 years, Pino and his sons have been providing their SoHo neighborhood and restaurants in NYC with high quality butchery specialties. Call and ask about their home delivery service (212)-475-8134.
- Browne Trading Company: Located in the heart of Portland, Maine’s Commercial Fishing District, Browne Trading was established by prominent seafood epicure Rod Browne Mitchell, in 1991. Continuing his family’s long tradition in the seafood trade, Browne Trading is nationally renowned for sourcing pristine quality, fresh seafood, and we're proud to work with them at The Modern. Shop online for fresh and smoked seafood, caviar and more, delivered nationwide the next day.
- Greenpoint Fish & Lobster Co: Seasonal, traceable and sustainable seafood in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Open Wednesday - Sunday for pick up; follow them on Instagram for updates. You can also donate to their employee relief fund here.
- Island Creek Oysters: A vertically integrated farm based in Duxbury, Massachusetts, Island Creek Oysters operates one of the only shellfish hatcheries in the Northeast, a distribution company selling shellfish from 100+ farms to chefs around the country, a retail business serving home-shuckers online and at their shops in Duxbury and Portland, Maine, and more. Shop online for free overnight shipping across the US.
- The Lobster Place: In 1974 they first brought live lobster to NYC directly from the Maine coast; now have created an outlet in Chelsea Market featuring a fish market, raw bar, sushi bar and more. Order online for delivery throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. You can also donate to their employee relief fund here.
- Peeko Oysters: Avid fisherman Peter Stein founded Peeko Oysters in 2016, farming in Little Peconic Bay, Peekos are the only oysters based out of New Suffolk, NY. Peter’s lifelong love of the North Fork imbues his work from tide to table, and they are now offering doorstep delivery in the greater NYC area.
- Pierless Fish: Since 1999, Pierless Fish has been focused on supplying local fish to restaurants including Gramercy Tavern using ethical and sustainable harvesting practices. Pierless Fish will deliver to Brooklyn, Manhattan and part of Queens; they'll be posting price lists and delivery information on Instagram, and then you can order online.
Flour & Grains
- Anson Mills: Make Union Square Cafe's creamy polenta at home, or purchase their other organic heirloom beans, grains, rice and flours online here.
- Farmer Ground Flour: Purchase fresh, stone-ground flour from New York State organic grains at Union Square Greenmarket on Wednesdays, or see where else its sold here.
- Maine Grains: Maine Grains' freshly-milled, organic and heritage grains sourced from the Northeast are available to order online.
Bread & Bakery
- Amy's Bread: Since 1992, Amy’s Bread has been serving both traditional and unique breads and pastries. Their Hell's Kitchen location is open for pick-up, order delivery to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, or order online for shipping nationwide.
- Everybody Eats: A life-long celiac, Pedro Arroba couldn’t find the quality of baked goods that he craved, so he began making them himself. With his son Pablo, Pedro bakes gluten-free bread and baked goods in NYC, and they've expanded to bake other allergy-free products including breads without lactose and vegan baked goods. Everybody Eats supplies gluten-free bread to some of our restaurants, and you can shop online and have their products shipped nationwide.
- Orwashers: Founded in 1916 by a Hungarian immigrant family, the bakery began as a small storefront in the Upper East Side and now has locations in Manhattan and Fort Greene, Brooklyn and is available at farmers markets in NYC, Long Island and Westchester. Order online for curbside pickup from Manhattan UES and UWS retail stores. All online orders can be scheduled for pickup the same day or a future day.
- Tortilleria Nixtamal: Makers of 100% fresh Nixtamal corn tortillas and chips. Pick up tortillas, chips, salsa and rotisserie chickens at their store on Roosevelt Avenue in Corona, Queens.
- Barrier Brewing: Based in Oceanside, NY, Barrier Brewing produces over 50 locally-distributed craft beers. Order online for pick up at their brewery.
- Brooklyn Brewery: Brooklyn Brewery delivered their first batch of Brooklyn Lager in Williamsburg in 1988, and now their beer is available in 30 countries on five continents. They've created this excellent Community Resource Hub which shares how you can support breweries, bars, restaurants, healthcare workers and more. You can also use their Beer Finder to find out where you can buy Brooklyn Brewery beer around you. Lastly, thank you to Brewmaster Garrett Oliver and the team for contributing to our first USHG HUGS online auction!
- Channing Daughters: Based in Bridgehampton, Channing Daughters is the only winery on the East End growing and producing wines from many of their two dozen varieties of grapes. Shop online for shipping to 28 states; receive free ground shipping on 6 bottles or more.
- McCall Wines: Located on Long Island's North Fork, McCall focuses on crafting low yield, quality-driven wines and a commitment to sustainability (becoming Long Island's first wind-powered farm). The vineyards were planted in 1996 on land the McCall family has lived for generations, and under the threat of development and removal in the 1990’s, they partnered with the Peconic Land Trust to save the heritage farm and surrounding woodlands. Shop online for shipping to NYC and Long Island, and check out their Instagram for specials including half off cases of wine with free delivery.
- Forthave Spirits: Forthave Spirits is a small batch, natural botanical spirits distillery in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. All of their spirits are plants based, and all of the plants are either USDA-certified organic or grown by small farmers. Forthave produces an an aperitivo, amaro and gin and we're proud to serve their spirits at Gramercy Tavern's bar. Learn more and purchase at Chambers Street Wines.
- Hoboken Brewing: With a focus on session ales, Hoboken Brewing strives for originality without missing the key styles and flavors that beer-drinkers know and love. They're selling cans of beer for pick-up from The Lemonade Stand; more info here.
- In Pursuit of Tea: Sebastian Beckwith and friends started In Pursuit of Tea in 1999 to source the finest teas available directly from small farms in Asia. When you purchase their tea, you are helping to directly support threatened tea farming traditions, and to provide a fair price for an artisanal agricultural product. Shop online and receive free shipping on domestic orders over $50.
- Joe Coffee: Founded in 2003 in NYC’s West Village, Joe Coffee helped pioneer the current third-wave coffee craze, roasting their beans in their Long Island City roastery. We're proud to serve Joe Coffee in our restaurants. Shop online and they'll ship nationwide, or sign up for their online classes to expand your coffee knowledge.
- Kings County Brewers Collective: Based in Bushwick, Brooklyn, KCBC was started by trio of brewers who joined forces to bring their vision of quality, variety and community to craft beer drinkers in New York and beyond. Shop online and have your beer delivered to your door in NYC, or have shipped within New York state.
- Coastal Sunbelt Produce: Coastal Sunbelt is a leading supplier of produce and dairy for the Mid-Atlantic, and now popping up in Leesburg, VA and Baltimore, MD to offer produce and dairy boxes for pick-up. Learn more here.
- Huntsman Specialty Game: Huntsman has created different meat boxes that can be pre-ordered and picked up at participating D.C. restaurants. Contact and order here.
- Lyon Bakery: Founded by three like-minded friends in 2000, the bakery expanded to serve restaurants, hotels, and many other customers throughout the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore metropolitan areas. Lyon's owners have started a bread home delivery service in the DC metro area (more here); sales go towards providing food for families in need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for their weekly email which includes an order form.
- Baldor: Baldor works with over 1,000 partner farms to deliver food to restaurants, hospitals, schools and more. They are now offering home delivery for orders over $250. Shop here.
- Chef Collective: Chef Collective is a small artisan supplier of fine foods working directly with small farmers who had been focused on supplying top NYC restaurants. They now offer our products to everyone with contactless home delivery to NYC, Rockland County, Westchester County, and Long Island. Shop here.
- The Chefs' Warehouse: Founded in 1956 by two Cypriot cousins who returned to NYC after the Korean War, The Chefs' Warehouse is a family operated specialty food distributor that has been purveying high-quality artisan ingredients for chefs in North America for over 30 years. They are now offering the same quality ingredients delivered to home chefs, and are donating 10% of retail sales profits to their front-line furloughed employees and other impacted members of the foodservice industry. Shop here.
- D'Artagnan: Founded in 1985 by Ariane Daguin, D'Artagnan partnered with small, family-owned farms and organized cooperatives that focused on the welfare of the animals, much like it is done in France where Ariane grew up. Starting with duck, D'Artagnan's offerings expanded steadily to meet the needs of restaurants and home cooks - they now offer meats, game, poultry, charcuterie, truffles and mushrooms, prepared foods and more. Shop online for nationwide shipping; new customers receive $25 off purchases of $200+.
- Primordia Mushroom Farm: Family owned and built farm and business nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of eastern Pennsylvania, Jesse and Matt forage and source a constant evolving breadth of wild and eclectic mushrooms. Available at markets and grocery stores in Pennsylvania; learn more here.
- Salt & Straw Ice Cream: Started by cousins Kim and Tyler Malek in Portland, Oregon, Salt & Straw creates deliciously eclectic, seasonal ice cream flavors and now ships them nationwide. We're proud to serve Salt & Straw at Daily Provisions. Shop online and get their ice cream shipped nationwide.
- Senor Lechuga Hot Sauce: We began serving Señor Lechuga hot sauce alongside our Tacocina tacos soon after we opened in 2018. Shop online for all of their hot sauces and have shipped nationwide. Owners Nico and Lauren also created a raffle to raise funds for USHG HUGS; thank you to the other local makers who took part to help raise funds for our employees, including Half Face Blades, BRINS, DONA, Burlap & Barrel, Hudson Green, Yolélé, Brooklyn Delhi, Pineapple Collaborative.
- Strega Provisions: Founded by Estelle Barth in NYC, Strega Provisions sources the finest ingredients for chefs in NYC from truffles, mushrooms and vegetables to pantry items including peppercorns, oils and spices. Shop online for nationwide shipping; free delivery for orders over $100.